A single of Canada’s major summer audio fests, Montreal’s Osheaga Audio and Arts Pageant has introduced its dates and lineup. The 15th anniversary of the celebration, offered by Bell in collaboration with Coors Mild, normally takes area at Parc Jean-Drapeau, July 29 to 31, 2022. In addition to headlining sets from Foo Fighters, A$AP Rocky and Dua Lipa, the star-studded listing of performers incorporates Equipment Gun Kelly, Mitski, Burna Boy, The Kid Laroi, Kygo, and lots of much more. Noteworthy Canadian functions booked involve Arkells, Les Louanges, Caribou, JP Saxe, and Pierre Kwenders. Weekend passes on sale now right here, with single-working day passes obtainable Feb. 25.
– Earlier this 7 days, we noted on a new Uncomplicated Program solitary that capabilities Sum 41 singer Derryck Whibley. Now we have phrase that the two platinum-offering pop-punk outfits are signing up for forces for an impending two-aspect, comprehensive US co-headline operate they are dubbing Blame Canada. Equally bands will commemorate their debut data, with Sum 41 performing All Killer No Filler in comprehensive and Very simple Plan performing No Pads, No Helmets…Just Balls.. The first leg kicks off on April 29, with guest Set It Off. A full record of dates is below. $1 of every tour ticket marketed will support raise money for the Simple Plan Foundation and Sweet Relief.
– SiriusXM Canada has introduced its fourth annual SiriusXM Top rated of the Region competition, in partnership with the Canadian Place Audio Affiliation. The countrywide lookup for emerging nation talent provides individuals with a countrywide system, a SOCAN songwriting camp, industry mentorships and a prospect to earn a $25K grand prize. Canadian state solo artists and teams can now sign up for SiriusXM Best of the Nation until finally March 4 in this article.
– Veteran Edmonton roots rockers Jr. Long gone Wild have introduced their spring-summertime touring itinerary for 2022, which will just take them across Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and BC. Verify the tour dates listed here.
– The Mundial Montreal convention and festival has introduced its 2022 dates as Nov. 15-18. It is now accepting apps from artists wanting to conduct there. The deadline to utilize in this article is March 15.
– Toronto indie rock band Extended Array Hustle releases its third album, I am alive, but only if you say I am, tomorrow (Feb. 25), launching it with a hometown show at Lee’s Palace that evening. Generated by acclaimed Scottish producer, Tony Doogan (Wintersleep), it was recorded in the tumultuous summer months of 2020 at the Bathouse studio in Kingston, ON.
– MusicOntario & Bandcamp are signing up for forces on a new webinar, Communities Join: Bandcamp 101 for Hip-Hop Artists, held currently (Feb. 24, 1-2 pm ET). The platform’s Hip-Hop Ambassador, Amit Nerurkar, will clarify how artists can make the very best use of Bandcamp. Sign-up right here.
– Volunteers (19 decades of age or older) are now staying recruited for Juno Week, to be held in Toronto, from May possibly 9-15, culminating in the significant Awards demonstrate. A lot more facts in this article.
– On March 8 (3-5 pm EST), the 3 New music Managers Boards from across North The united states are receiving with each other to rejoice Worldwide Women’s Day. The networking occasion features attendees from throughout Canada, the US and Mexico, and includes a Fireplace Chat involving two of the industry’s finest new music-tech minds, Cherie Hu (Water & Music) and Kristin Grant (Westcott Multimedia). Registration is absolutely free right here, with non-members welcome.
Gary Brooker, the frontman of 1960s British isles rock band Procol Harum, died on Feb. 19, at the age of 76, from most cancers.
The London-born singer led the band throughout their 55-year historical past, co-creating and singing their most well-known tune, 1967’s A Whiter Shade of Pale.
He was appointed an OBE in 2003, and A Whiter Shade of Pale was honoured by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.
Brooker also toured with Eric Clapton and Ringo Starr and performed with Sir Paul McCartney, Bill Wyman, George Harrison, the Alan Parsons Venture and quite a few other people. In 1996, he appeared together with Madonna in Alan Parker’s film adaptation of Evita, taking part in Argentine overseas minister Juan Atilio Bramuglia.
Brooker was just 14 when he shaped his first band, The Paramounts, at school. They signed to EMI Records, scored a small strike with their debut one, Poison Ivy, in 1964, and opened some reveals for the Rolling Stones.
Brooker went on to form Procol Harum in 1966 and launched their finest-recognized track, A Whiter Shade of Pale, the next yr. It turned one particular of the most commercially effective singles of all time, providing more than 10 million copies worldwide. At the initial-at any time Brit Awards in 1977, it was named the joint winner (together with Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody) of the “best British pop solitary 1952-1977.” In 2009, it was named the most-performed music of the previous 75 many years by United kingdom radio stations.
The team adopted it up with a top 10 one, Homburg, and their third album, 1969’s A Salty Doggy, is regarded as a prog-rock masterpiece, ushering in an period of lush, orchestrated progressive rock. The team split in 1977 after a collection of line-up variations. Brooker launched a solo profession and toured with Eric Clapton’s stay band in the 1980s, but reformed Procol Harum for a new album, The Prodigal Stranger, in 1991.
In the meantime, the modern-day line-up of Procol Harum continued to report and tour right up until the Covid pandemic set their ideas on maintain. They played their final gig with Brooker in Switzerland in 2019 and utilised the time away from touring to report a 3-observe EP, Lacking Persons (Alive Without end), which was unveiled in May 2021.
– Mark Lanegan, a rock singer/songwriter and writer viewed as a grunge pioneer by means of his work with Screaming Trees, died on Feb. 22, age 57.
A bring about of demise has not been documented. He survived a struggle with Covid-19 that remaining him in and out of a coma for months-extended stretches of 2021, and motivated a memoir, Devil in a Coma, released final December,
Lanegan’s troubled youth bundled a lengthy felony file for a variety of offences. In 1985, at age 21, Lanegan was working for a online video retail outlet in his hometown of Ellensburg, Washington, when he shaped a band with his boss’s sons, guitarist Gary Lee Conner and bassist Van Conner.
The Screaming Trees would go on to history 7 studio albums ahead of their breakup in 2000 and rose to fame as portion of the grunge movement of the early 1990s centred all around Seattle. The group’s greatest commercial achievement was the monitor Approximately Missing You.
Lanegan started a solo vocation during the peak of the band’s fame and ongoing just after its demise. His 1990 solo debut The Winding Sheet integrated appearances from Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic, and these types of subsequent albums as Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, Scraps at Midnight, the selection of handles I’ll Take Care of You, and work with Isobel Campbell attained critical acclaim. He also had a stint in Queens of the Stone Age.
Major drug addiction plagued his profession at times, but, as thorough in his 2020 memoir, Sing Backwards and Weeps, Lanegan had been clear for extra than a 10 years at the time of his loss of life. Resources: The Guardian, Rolling Stone, Seattle Periods